Sunday, October 14, 2007

Staying Connected From Anywhere in the World!

In class we have discussed how different brands differentiate themselves. This is a very important step in the brand’s marketing strategy. There are many different types of applications that allow you to talk to your friends over the Internet. The two I would consider to be most popular are AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) and MSN Messenger. Recently I have been introduced to another application, Skype. Its main purpose is to allow people to stay connected with anyone in the world. I found out about Skype because my friend is studying abroad in Scotland and next semester I will hopefully be in Europe studying abroad as well. With a Skype account you can call people computer to computer for free. They also have really cheap rates available so that you can call landlines. It was great to be able to talk to my friend who’s in Scotland and to actually be able to hear her voice. I know she uses it to talk to her family and next semester I plan to use it as the main way of talking to my family.
On top of being able to make phone calls you, you can use have a video connections as well. As long as you have a web camera. They also have a chat feature that is very similar to that of AIM. I have been using AIM since middle school to talk to friends online. I love it and use it all the time. I’m still becoming familiar with the different things that Skype offers since I have only had it for about a week. One of the features that I like better on Skype then on AIM is the Emotions (on AIM they are smiley faces). AIM has many different options for you to choose from for your smiley, but the Skype expressions are animated and there are more than just smiley faces to choose from. You could say something like “don’t rain on my party” just by using the Skype Emotions. It makes the conversations much more fun. It's perfect for talking to people around the world. It is also a great way to talk to friends that are at different schools or to talk to family members who live farther away. I think Skype is a great application for keeping in touch with family and friends no matter where they live.
~Dana

1 comment:

Mallory and Brianna said...

Skype is wonderful! I began to use it when my sister mover to Ohio, but she used it all the time, because her boyfriend lives in Belgium. It's a really great application, and the webcam aspect really brings a lot too it also. It's much easier then other programs that are supposed to make communicating easier, this actually does!